GARRIE P. DORNAN
REALTOR – RE/MAX On The Trail 2013 to present
Successfully transitioned from the corporate marketing and public relations sector to residential real estate market. Recruited by the Number 1 real estate sales organization within the Plymouth, Canton and Northville market. In business for over 20 years, RE/MAX On The Trail the has remained at the top of the market by delivering exceptional value and results for its customers.
- Listed and sold over $1.2M of property in my first year as a realtor.
- Effectively established key relationships with lenders, escrow companies and fellow agents in order to better serve my clients.
- Over 90% of current business is generated from current or past clients referrals.
VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS – BAE Systems, Land & Armaments Sector 2010 to 2012
Promoted to become the top communications executive for a $9.2B global equipment/systems manufacturer within the world’s second largest defense contractor. Lead a 100-member team, control a $17M annual operating budget and a $2.5M corporate giving budget supporting 15K employees at 64 sites in 20 states and 8 countries. Concurrently, led strategic change management, organizational restructuring and people development to build cohesive worldwide operating culture, employee communications platform, business/product marketing campaigns, and industry, media and public relations programs.
- Developed and executed integrated marketing and communications campaigns in support of multi-billion dollar franchise programs for the Ground Combat Vehicle (GCV) and Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV). Increased coverage in Tier 1 publications 57%.
- Drove aggressive change in culture and organization by implementing a sector-wide communications functional reorganization, which reduced headcount by 50% and operating costs 42%.
- Established a reputation as a highly effective leader and innovative communicator. Handpicked to serve on cross-functional group to select new public relations and advertising agencies of record. One of 25 leaders selected to pilot the CEO’s leadership program.
- Integrated marketing and communications efforts to eliminate stove piped operations to ensure unity with business development objectives. Developed ROI metrics to increase accountability and improve performance.
- Established a digital media strategy and leveraged social media as a new medium for both internal communications, and external marketing and communications. Implemented total redesign of internal and external web pages.
- Influenced development of dynamic, culturally diverse communications strategies to address political, social and economic nuances associated with doing business in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and frontier markets: Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Sweden.
VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS – BAE Systems, US Combat Systems 2008 to 2010
DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS – BAE Systems, Ground Systems 2007 to 2008
Recruited to lead a comprehensive transformation of a $4B, 10K-employee global business that had experienced significant organic and acquisition-based growth. Based on success assimilating diverse cultures, harmonizing processes and developing a clear communications strategy, promoted to effect change within a newly formed $6B, 15K-employee US business with 30+ locations, multiple products/programs and varied military customers.
- Achieved 40%+ across the board increase in media coverage in 1 year, exceeding annual goal by 15%.
- Achieved cost, operating and performance synergies in a decentralized, autonomous environment with a culture adverse to change.
- Implemented internal controls and tracking systems to monitor the approval of press releases and charitable giving requests. Established new metrics for budget allocations, accountability and performance.
- Engaged employees to embrace change through forthright, transparent communications and timely information sharing. Redesigned internal communications newsletters, intranets and video, and shifted to user-managed content model.
- Consistently outperformed competitors in attracting 50%+ higher media coverage through a combination of business/industry outreach to key influencers.
- Drove trade show execution excellence (including 3rd party accolades) while reducing participation 14%, streamlining/ activities for 10% cost savings, and refocusing efforts to increase visibility and awareness among target audiences.
- Expanded charitable giving budget 50% in 2009 and realigned giving priorities to reinforce business objectives. Garnered accolades during external audit for exemplary internal controls and compliance.
- Advanced BAE’s reputation as a good corporate citizen by expanding FIRST strategic partnership 35%, and executing high-profile events benefiting notable charities - USO, Wounded Warriors, Operation Homefront, Army Heritage Foundation.
DIRECTOR, ARMY COMMUNITY RELATIONS 2006 to 2007
DIRECTOR, ARMY STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS 2004 to 2006
CHIEF OF STAFF 2003 to 2004
Army Public Affairs – The Pentagon
Rapidly advanced to a senior-level communications position for a 1.5M-member global organization with $168B budget. Operating from the “executive boardroom”, developed strategic plans and programs for strategic communications, public outreach and media relations. Subsequently led 30+ staff in 5 US offices engaged in integrated marketing, communications, public relations and media relations.
- Crafted the messages, briefs and presentations, and prepped spokespeople, senior officials and others for national TV appearances, interviews and press conferences on sensitive issues (Abu Gharib, Pat Tillman, Body Armor, Guard and Reserve healthcare).
- Instituted a formal media analysis platform, including the use of tracking software and automated reports to produce daily “hot topic” and issues management tools to keep senior leaders around the world informed.
- Created a proactive “wired” organization, and drove dramatic improvements in efficiency and impact in forging influential relationships with local/state/Federal government agencies, civic and non-profit organizations and special interest groups.
- Maintained partnerships with Fleishman Hillard, Weber Shandwick and other leading media/public relations agencies, and engaged in creative design of integrated special events, sports marketing, community relations and media outreach efforts.
- Supported the recruitment organization in the design and roll-out of a new national advertising campaign (Army Strong) and leveraged public outreach opportunities through sponsored sports events (NASCAR, NFL, NHRA, NBA, MLB).
- Personally coordinated a flagship $6M outreach program designed to connect Iraq/Afghanistan veterans with the American public. Generated unequalled ROI through positive publicity with in excess of 75M annual media impressions.
- Provided oversight and direction to the LA field office responsible all Army support to the movie and television industry. Coordinated Army participation in 240 TV and movie projects including HBO’s “Bagdad ER” and Paramount’s “Transformers.”
DEPUTY DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS – US Army Europe 2001 to 2003
DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS – V Corps 1998 to2001
OFFICIAL ARMY SPOKESPERSON / CHIEF, COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES – Department of Army 1994 to 1996
Completed a series of “corporate staff” assignments followed by a 5-year expatriate assignment as the #1/#2 head of communications for dynamic regional HQs with 75 business units and 62K personnel across 9 European countries. Provided strategic planning, administration and operational oversight for internal communications, community relations, public relations and media affairs, including serving as an executive advisor to senior leadership and official spokesperson. Led a staff of 30+ and administered a $4.6M budget.
- Earned distinction as US Army Europe’s Public Affairs Professional of the Year in 1998.
- Evaluated and made strategic changes public affairs leadership positions to improve bench strength and succession plans.
- Provided sound, concise and well-reasoned communications guidance to senior leadership facing changing strategic objectives significant operational challenges, and sensitive personnel and public issues.
- Represented the military in official, social and community interaction with local government and federal ministry officials, during facility closures/consolidations, and local national workforce reductions.
- Developed print and broadcast media network contacts, and responded to worldwide inquiries/coverage by CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, AFP, AP, Reuters, BBC, NPR, SAT 1, Sky News.
Early General Management Career (1981 to 1998) – Served in varied leadership assignments in organizations ranging in size from 50 to 2K people. Designed training/personnel development programs; facilitated planning and organizational transformation; and completed executive management courses in strategic thinking, communications and problem solving.
EDUCATION & LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
Master of Science in Strategic Studies – US Army War College
Master of Science in Business Management – Troy State University
Bachelor of Science in Social Science – Eastern Michigan University
Realtor Licensing & Certification – Michigan Real Estate Institute
Marketing and Web Design – RE/MAX University
Graduate, CEO’s Leadership Program – BAE Systems
Graduate, Public Affairs Leadership Program – Defense Information School